The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Insomnia 
Post Insomnia
What are some oils that are highly effective for insomnia? Would you recommend a tincture or diffusing or something else?

Thanks!!
Rachael

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:02 am

Post Re: Insomnia
I know its the most obvious but I'm constantly surprised by the effectiveness of lavender. I like to diffuse it in a nebulizer. Mine can be set to go for a chosen length of time at intervals of my choice. So it can go on for five minutes every 25 minutes to keep me asleep.
Sometimes it can take a little while to take effect (10 - 15 mins at most) but I will awaken feeling so slightly drugged which wears off very quickly but convinces me that I've used a potent substance. I like tumeric as well. I've also used Lavender to relieve pain in my legs from POTS which is surprising as well.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:03 am

I have had success with lavender, provided I don't slather too much of it on myself (in which case I end up WITH insomnia ;-)
...and I have had even more success using a blend of lavender, geranium and clary sage.

Also, I have just made a nice lavender hydrosol from the lavender in my garden. It is more subtle than the essential oil, so I will be experimenting with that and will post the results soon.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:09 pm

I've read recently a study where it said the Jasmine aroma is as potent as the same Valium. Probably would sound too much, but a bit surely can help you to deeply relax and rest.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:00 am

I have had success in recommending Marjoram for a 5 year old boy. This boy had difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. Rubbing a drop or two of Marjoram on his feet before bed has helped to normalize his sleep patterns. Overall, his mother has now included half a dozen EO to his daily regimen, mostly to his feet, in the mornings and at night, and he is much calmer and happier than he used to be. He is a testament to the effectiveness of EO, for sure.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:06 am

I've had success with a blend of lavender, chamomile and marjoram used in a diffuser

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm
Site Admin

Yes, Lavender is the "go to" oil -- what I've found, is because I don't care so much for the more floral scents (just a personal preference), I use enough just so I get a "hint" of it in bed. Just a couple of drops on the bedsheet or pillow. Some folks love it, and will diffuse it all night, so you have to find what works for you.

Melissa has also been recommended, and Neroli, or even "Neroli Petitgrain" (a very nice aroma, calming, with a lower cost). And as was said, chamomile or jasmine can work well too. There's science also saying Sandalwood can help improve the quality of rest. These are options just in case you'd like to try something other than lavender.

I think the most important thing is to start with just a little and work up if you feel you'd like more. Also, massaging the oil into the feet is a very common application rather than diffusion.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 am
I have fibromyalgia and have terrible insomnia. I can't go to sleep or stay asleep thus no good rems. I have been having some success with rubbing earth goddess essential
oil blend on my feet neat. I also place green myrtle on a cotton ball and place it under my sleep mask near my nose. I am experiencing dreams again so I must be having better rem
cycles.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:55 am

I've had success with lavender as well. Also green myrtle (sp?), frankincense, sandlewood. I usually tip the bottle to get a trace on my fingers and then rub on my temples and behind my ears. I think I'll use some tonight!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Remember with essiental Oils MORE IS NOT BETTER. :!: If it is at the point where you can actually "smell it" you've used way to much. There should only be the slightest hint. For you sedative mixtures this is most important. Only put 1 drop of oil on your pillow. :D

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:47 am

My young boy have been suffering from Insomia & got success using 2 droops lavender oil on pillow.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:43 am
Site Admin

Yes, definitely 'more is not better', and different folks will have varying success with different oils.

Neroli is great, Mandarin Petitgrain is great - and as above, Lavender is the 'go to' oil. Though the idea is to simply get a 'hint' of the oil's aroma. UNDER the pillow is a great place to start, or out in the middle of the bedspread (no need to worry about staining).

Further, there's been one research study showing an improvement of the sleep/wake cycle, and lessening of wakenings with Sandalwood...VERY interestingly, the Sandalwood was not inhaled. So, to replicate, one could put a couple drops on the bottom of each foot - which allows the oil to be absorbed into the bloodstream (of course, inhaling a little probably wouldn't hurt either :)

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:33 am

I agree, Lavender is super ... but our physician, who has both my husband and I on Hormone therapy warns us of using Lavender for the hormone work she is trying to accomplish in both of us. Since it seems that Lavender seems to be the "go to" EO ... what would be everyone's plan b ... if Lavender should be limited.

this is a great site!!

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]