The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Spot treatment for zits/ pimples/ blemishes 

Post Spot treatment for zits/ pimples/ blemishes
Whenever I get stressed, I would have pimples popping up on my forehead, chin or cheeks, and none of that small stuff either that you can cover up with a dab of concealer - big red shiny ones that almost seem to jump out of you skin and are so painful to touch.
None of the OTC drugstore remedies containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid or sulphur work for me, some of them irritate the surrounding skin so much that I feel better off just sticking it out for 2 weeks (the time it usually takes for my outbreaks to calm down).
Then I started studying aromatherapy and one of my favorite books written on that subject was "Essential Oils for vibrant health and beauty" by Roberta Wilson. It came with dozens of recipes and the first one I tried was the one she recommended as a spot treatment for blemishes:
- Cypress for its antiseptic and astringent properties.
- Helichrysum and true lavender to reduce inflammation and promote skin healing.
- Tea tree for its strong anti-bacterial action.
These 4 essential oils in a base of organic apple cider vinegar, dabbed on the offending spot with a cotton bud 3 times a day, have managed to make every single one of my massive pimples shrink down to a managable size within 2-3 days and it would usually be gone by the end of the week.
I have been using this blend for the past 3 years and it has never once failed me. If there is only one aromatherapy product I can take with me to the end of the world, this would be it.
What I like about it the most is that, unlike most of the drugstore products, it doesn't dry out or otherwise irritate the surrounding skin, and the spot heals up without leaving a dark mark as it so often happens when there has been massive inflammation.
You have to get used to the smell of vinegar at first when you apply it but it dissipates quickly.
I can't quite remember at this moment what percentage or dilution rate Roberta Wilson recommended in her book because over time I have played with the original formula a bit and varied the dosage for the different oils and the overall strength of the blend to suit me, but if you want to have an idea, this is how I am currently making it up for myself: 10 Lavandula angustifolia, 8 Melaleuca alternifolia, 6 Helichrysum italicum, 6 Cypressus sempervirens - in 15ml organic apple cider vinegar (10% dil).

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:44 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Spot treatment for zits/ pimples/ blemishes
Nice to hear about the Apple Cider base. It's supposed to be good for so many things, and glad it works for you with essential oils. We've been recommending Tamanu as THE carrier for acne, as it has strong antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and skin healing properties itself.

I expect several essential oils will do the job: myrtle, spike lavender, Benchmark thyme, tea tree, and as you mentioned, a little Helicrysum is good for everything!

For those who would like to try apple cider vinegar as the base, find "raw" vinegar, with what they call "the mother"....it is the most biologically active. Also, if it DOES dry your skin out too much, then mix in the carrier of your choice -- our recommendations are, again, Tamanu, and also Virgin Coconut, Grapeseed and Hazelnut. The last two aren't known so much for their anti-bacterial activity, but for their mildly astringent qualities.

BTW, when you say 10, 8, 6, 6...do you mean drops per ounce of these oils?

Thanks for sharing!

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 am

Post Re: Spot treatment for zits/ pimples/ blemishes
Hi Lucy,

If you haven't tried it, Neem Oil also works great as a spot treatment for blemishes. It has similar action as Tea Tree, but I found it to be more gentle on the skin and for me, more effective. It's antibacterial action is awesome although some people find its almost peanut-like smell a little odd.

I also add small amounts to my blend of facial moisturizer (essential oils & various carrier oils), and I find it helps to keep new acne from forming.

Good luck!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]