The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Essential Oil for Eczema 
Post Essential Oil for Eczema
My brother has suffered for years with a topical eczema, recently made worse by his lack of work and his wife's bout with cancer... I made a batch of calendula oil and salve , which I offered him to alleviate the itch exacerbated by stress. The virgin organic oil carries the healing properties of the calendula nicely on his skin and he has experienced relief at least on a temporary basis from the awful torture...

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Essential Oil for Eczema
Wow. Sorry to hear about the stress for him, but awesome about the response to the oil. I've read about many oils being helpful, but heard little feedback -- as carriers: Tamanu, Coconut, Evening Primrose, Hempseed and Borage; Essential oils and CO's: Calendula, German Chamomile, and Sea Buckthorn. There are others, but these seem most often mentioned...if you've got any feedback or formulas too, please share! Thanks!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:49 pm

I have mild eczema in the winter (dry type) and localized dermatitis in the summer if I'm working in my yard. The primary suspects being potting/gardening soil and the vinyl gloves I was using. I've noticed significant improvement by changing to canvas gloves in summer and making sure to wash my hands with a very mild soap with tumeric. Then I apply a blend of , cajeput, chamomile, sea buckthorn, and myrhh in a base of jojoba oil. If I do get a rash, I mix the oil blend with activated charcoal or kaolin clay to make a soothing plaster, apply, and cover lightly with gauze. It dries things up and there is no scarring. Just as an experiment, I did not apply the blend + charcoal to one irritated spot to compare healing times. The section that I did not apply any blend to did dry up on its own in about the same time, but it itched terribly and I did have some hyperpigmentation after the rash cleared.

In the winter time I mix the same blend with shea butter or cocobutter and that works great for me. Dietary changes also helped me a lot. Making sure I do some avocados, fish or evening primrose oil in the winter has been very helpful.

Glad you could help your sibling!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

My son suffers from eczema, and it seems to be triggered by seasonal allergies. I plan on getting calendula in my next order, but for now along with the zyrtec, which does help though I am reluctant to rely on it, he loves the lavendar massage I give him after his bath, which has sweet almond oil as its base. I like using the sweet almond since it seems to be fast absorbing and nongreasy, and the lavendar also helps him to relax at bed time.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:28 am
Site Admin

There is more research on the positive effects of Borage Seed, I believe, than any other aromatherapy oil. Calendula is very potent, and needs to be diluted to less than 1% (this is direct from the distiller, who also makes the German Chamomile CO2). Other options are Blue Tansy (reduces skin irritation, and is used for seasonal allergies), Cape or German Chamomile (the first smells very nice, the second is very potent too, and need be diluted like Calendula), and Sea Buckthorn.

I've worked with naturopaths for a long time, and they would suggest taking steps to cleanse the liver -- that the skin is overflowing what the liver cannot process. Cutting out fatty foods and sugars, trying a supplement that's for liver regeneration, adding some superfood powders like Vitamineral Greens and/or Vitamineral Earth from Healthforce.com -- Oh! And I think they have the best liver regenerative formula on the planet...."Liver Force" I think it's called. Safe to use, and if he can swallow a capsule (I think all these come in capsules if desired) they may be best received that way, because Vitamineral Earth tastes like it sounds :)

The Borage seed oil can be ingested as well; it's anti-inflammatory when applied topically or ingested.

Eczema is a tough topic, because everyone seems to respond to treatments differently, and seems it should be approached both internally and externally for best success.

I hope this helps!
Eric

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:34 pm

I have been using Calendula for eczema & even tried a shampoo that is supposedly all natural & has Calendula as the main component. My scalp & hairline around my face is worse now. Is it possible to be allergic to Calendula? Everyone writes of how therapeutic it is, but I'm just wondering if I'm the only person in the world with an allergy to it. Any ideas anyone? I ordered the Calendula CO2, but am leary to try it after my head is so inflammed from the other calendula products.

I am highly allergic to alot of things. Recently had to change dressings on a wound 2x/day for a week, upon return check-up doc said--"guess you're allergic to the tape!" Also, I can't use the "unscented" and sensitive skin lotions, shampoos, etc that are on the mass market that dermatologists recommend because I'm allergic to masking fragrance (use to mask the chemical smell.) I was really hoping that there would be some essential oils that would help. Thanks for the advice.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:07 pm
Site Admin

It's certainly possible you may be allergic to Calendula; the distiller notes to use it at very, very low concentrations -- while others have had success with use of our Calendula at full strength, but for burns, not eczema.

However, have you made any other adjustments? Dietary, lifestyle or otherwise? It may not be the Calendula "causing" the condition to be worse, it may be whatever IS causing the condition to still be in your system, or your environment.

As noted above, eczema seems a challenging condition. You may, if you're concerned about the Calendula, give a try to topically applying and ingesting Borage Seed oil. It would seem very unlikely to be allergic to, and it's the most thoroughly researched of all natural treatments (as far as I'm aware -- you can search http://www.pubmed.gov for "borage eczema" to see the studies). It really just supplies an essential fatty acid that, when deficient, often results in eczema -- and is otherwise highly anti-inflammatory.

Hope this helps!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:49 am

I hadn't even thought of dietary & lifestyle changes. I had emergency gallbladder surgery 5 weeks ago & am finally feeling back to my old self:) I also started my vitamins, supplements & exercise this week & am working on getting back to healthier more nutritious food choices. Never really thought about the coorelation, but I'm sure my body is out of sync. Went to get my hair cut since I posted above and the hair stylist looked at my scalp & said, have you been on morpheine? She said my scalp looked like the rash that her grandmom had when she had cancer & was on morpheine. Of course, that is what they gave me when they did surgery. So it could be the meds, etc. I think the borage oil may be a good thing to try. I usually take evening primrose as a supplement & just haven't taken it or any EFA supplements over the past month. Thanks for your reply!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I would like to share that I battled eczema for many years - from the time I was in my single digits to an adult. My eczema completely disappeared when I eliminated dairy - this is what did it for me. As long as I stay away from dairy, particularly pasteurized dairy, I'm clear. I can't tell you how liberating it was to discover this. In fact, anytime I start to consume "too much" dairy, I experience skin issues, more so in the form of acne now - which is why I've recently eliminated it completely from my diet again, too see if it helps my mild to moderate acne.

I think it would be worthwile for you to experiment with this for a month or two to see if you experience any relief - if you haven't already.

In solidarity,
ether

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I suffered from Eczem for years off and on with stress and/or dry skin being a factor in startup or worsening. There is this product out from Germany called SebaMed being introduced to the US by Costco. Used the face/body wash for one week - saw immediate improvement, After one month all of the scaling etc was gone. Now using the shampoo and skin cream. Before that I used avocado oil with a few drops of tea tree oil which helped reduce the itching and rash, but was not as effective as the Seba Med - the stuff is amazing. For really bad cases or psorr - they have a baby version which is very gentle. Good luck.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Post Cistus for Eczema
I have had eczema flare-ups on my hands for the past 8 years. My flare-ups have periods of EXTREME ITCHING and raised bumps which open up the more I itch.

I have tried just about everything and my conclusion is that the flare-ups coincide with periods of heightened stress and anxiety. I have never really responded to cortisones and I am proud of that actually!

I was SO EXCITED when I found Ananda earlier this year.

My first order included Cistus. This oil is so divine aromatically and seemed to help calm a flare-up when added to a base of shea butter.
If you've used cistus, you'll know that it is EXTREMELY intense aromatically and should be very diluted. This has been difficult because the oil (at least the batch I received?) comes out of the dropper very fast. Which, of course, makes it best to dilute in a carrier oil and add very little to aroma blends.

Anyone else have success with Cistus for eczema?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 am
Site Admin

Oh, have not heard of Cistus for eczema. It's a wonderful oil -- and for your blending, I'd really recommend getting some of the "mini-pipettes" instead of working with the orifice reducer (even with 3 sizes, it's hard to do precise blending straight from the bottle like that)...

It seems like it'd be a wonderful oil for "weeping" eczema; is that what you're using it for, or dry? And what are you finding in terms of results? There are just so many reasons eczema occurs in the first place, and so many oils that seem to help -- we'd like to put together something that helps people choose depending on their symptoms.

Also, have read a lot about Tamanu's properties that seem like it may really be helpful. It's anti-everything (anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory), and speeding of healing (statistically significant wound healing improvement times). We have no test subjects :) and am very happy to hear from everyone your experiences. Note that for the next few days (till then end of Sun. the 18th) you can get a free bottle to give it a try with your order (see the details here).

Thanks in Advance ~ Eric & The Ananda Apothecary Staff

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Someone just told me about the apple cider vinegar treatment, thanks!

I'm just now seeming to get over a particularly bad flare-up and I made a blend with
virgin coconut, shea, and tamanu with essential oils of rose and helichrysum.
This blend ultimately did not help. I may have blended too many things at once to know what didn't work,
but I went back to my tried and true simple shea butter and Cistus blend and I'm finally starting to heal up.

Shea butter with Cistus! Swear by it for my itchy, weepy, flaky eczema!

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:42 am

oh and by the way, yes, the mini pipettes help but are a bit of a hassle...
my next bottle of Cistus will be ordered with a dropper bottle!
Thank you Eric!

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:45 am

Hey! My boys have severe eczema and we have traveled as far down the traditional mess route as we wanna go. So now pursuing all natural healing. We have been only using Shea butter or coconut oil sometimes with lavender for over a year with not much relief. Obviously we are treating from the inside out through diet, etc but just ordered several oils including your super skin soother. Doe s this need to be diluted and would you recommend applying with Shea butter or coconut oil?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 am

My 4 year old son has been dealing with eczema (allergies too), starting this year. I've tried many things that helped a bit, but not enough- lavender, tansy, cocoa butter, roman chamomile, pycnogenol, etc. Eczema IS very difficult to treat. Though, I recently say a dramatic improvement after incorporating Norwegian cod liver into his diet and using a mix of cetaphil lotion with frankincense and myrrh topically. I think it is primarily the myrrh, as I have tried frankincense before without much improvement. Just wanted to share :D

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]